See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...eformatted.htm. Note
that this is not a default setting; an add-in is suspected of changing it.

"sage_jock" wrote in message
When I try to make a layout change to one part of my document (such as
indenting long quotes for a research paper) the program attempts to apply

the
layout change to the ENTIRE DOCUMENT. This is incredibly frustrating and
time consuming to fix. Additionally, I find that as I fix it, for some
reason extra lines are added to my headers, which only throws off the

overall
layout of the document more.

All I ask is that Word *NOT* attempt to apply a simple change to the

entire
document, when it is clearly intended for a HIGHLIGHTED SECTION OF TEXT.
It's almost as if in making Word more user-friendly, it's actually become
more difficult to work with.

If Word were a physical object, I probably would have thrown it out a

window
in frustration by this point.