Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Default Master Sub Documents (Thesis writing with Word)

Hi Nick

Do you suggest I make a template for my various chapter files

Using a template that contains the styles you intend to use in your
document(s) is generally a good thing. You can also store customizations to
your toolbar in the template, and they will only be available when you work
on documents created from that template.

a formatted document each time I start a new chapter, or should I deal
with
the formatting as the very last step.

I think this is a question about cognitive style, not about wordprocessing.
Some people (probably bottom-up thinkers) tend to write all the text and
then go back and format it. Other people (probably top-down thinkers) tend
to create the outline and the structure (and therefore the formatting) and
then fill in the gaps. I think they're just two ways of achieving the same
aim.

What I always do when I insert a new chapter in the final document is to
use "Section Break Next Page." I am not sure what the difference between
"Section Break Next Page" and "Section Break Continuous is

A continuous section break starts on the same page. The most common use is
to identify a section in the middle where the number of columns changes.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Nick H." niko25at@NOSPAM (at) yahoo.de wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 13:09:41 -0600, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

Actually, you should not need to use a Master Doc at all. Word can handle
extremely large documents in a single file.

I understand. I simply wanted to use the Master Doc to make the merging of
the various chapter files easier.

Do you suggest I make a template for my various chapter files to start
with

--
Nick H.
niko25at "at" yahoo "dot" de