Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Mike is offline

Default Spell check does not work in Word 2007

got it to work, saw advice in another thread, search out all the normal.*
templates and delete them ALL, uninstall and they reinstall... all's well

"Mike" wrote:

Did that, reinstalled, reapaired, regedit. green grammer lines sometimes
appear, custom dic set for 1, NO error msg, says spell check is complete even
with words like Yrurhewsd. I reinstalled word 2003 and Word 2003 spell
checker works fine.

"Mike" wrote:

I have the same problem. English US is selected, no squiggly lines a word
like "sdhdgd" is accepted as correct.

"Beth Melton" wrote:

If you don't have the Override key then you don't need the Registry fix. Did
you verify your proofing lanuage? If the proofing tools aren't installed for
your proofing language then spell check will not work - you won't see any
red wavy lines. Try clicking the Spelling and Grammar button on the Review
tab. If this is the case then the error message you encounter should provide
more insight to this issue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"laura" wrote in message
hi, i found your message very hopeful for me but then i got to the click +
next to override and that option doesnt exist in my list of things to
click
the +, is there any other way of fixing spell check for word 2007? i dont
get
the red lines, no mispelled words are recognised, i have checked
everything i
can think of to try and fix the problem but still found no solution.
thanx

"Beth Melton" wrote:

Does spell check work at all? If you press F7 to start Spell check does
it
work? If so then is the Microsoft Office Button in the upper left corner
flashing orange? If so click the button and then click back in the
document.
There's a minor bug in the check spelling as you type feature, if you
don't
click the Microsoft Office Button it doesn't function. (If I hadn't had
the
opportunity to experience this for myself I wouldn't believe it. grin)

If spell check does not work at all, see if the following corrects the
issue:
- Exit all Office applicaitons
- Go to Start/Run
- Type: regedit and click OK
- In the Registry, click the plus (+) next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
- Click the plus (+) next to Software
- Do the same for the following, (click the + next to) Microsoft, Shared
Tools, Proofing Tools, 1.0, and Override
- Cliik en-US (to select the key)
- From the File menu, click Export. Provide any file name and location
for
the key to make a backup copy of it (You can skip this step if you want
since this key is self-repairing - a new one will be generated
automatically)
- From the Edit menu, click Delete
- Exit the Registry and see if your spell check works