Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Geodesic Geodesic is offline

Default Word07 Outline won't properly number

Well, I am glad my post finally made it to the list. Perhaps the repeated
non-sends had to do with the way I was closing my submissions (this time I
used 'close' inside of Internet Explorer, rather than just 'post'). And yes,
I can now see that the USENET Vehicle for
microsoft.public.word.docmanagement. That is not clear from the official
Microsoft website that brought me here.

I hope it is clear that I want to create a "multilevel outline" and *not* a
"multilevel list". Period.

Yes, I can see the multilevel *list* tab with such options as, 'define new
list style' and 'define new multilevel list.' However, no matter what indent
or numbering scheme is used and meant to show up in the print layout, every
line in the list is set as "body text". This fact (appears to) offer no
functionality to *expand* or *collapse* sub-elements.

Whil to add this functionality, eone must invest a serious amount of time
on resetting the 'heading sty'es.' I am making some headway on programming
each 'heading style', I still don't see the way to link level, so that one
would get:
1.
1.1
1.2
1.2.1
2.

One can go to the strip/home/styles/heading 1/[right-click]/modify
style/format tab/numbering and bullets/define new number format... but there
no longer seems to be a link between levels as there was in Word 2003 when
you try to redefine 'Heading 2'

Again, I think it is a mistake that when I search on "multi-level outline"
on the official Microsoft Office website I am sent to Multilevel list."
Shauna Kelly's tutorial does not appear to be updated for 2007 despite what
it says at the bottom.

I think a single clear explanation of how to create ewould prove useful