Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Word07 Outline won't properly number

I think you're still not getting it; you create outlines by using styles.
You number those styles using multilevel list numbering.

http://word.mvps.org

"Geodesic" wrote in message
Still no luck.

Thanks for the reply. Again, my goal: to create a multi-level outline as
opposed to a multi-level list, with a coherent numbering scheme. I am
hoping
for a clear enough explanation so that I might teach college students how
do it, and they could feel comfortable using their own multi-level of
outlines.

Now, if one searches on the Internet 'Word 2007 multilevel outline' one
will
come up with documents like these, which I consulted before ever seeking
bother re-asking something already solved:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...650171033.aspx - 'Create a
multilevel list' [not multilevel outline]
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html - 'Focused
on Word 2003 and earlier.'

So yes I have tried to work through the Shauna Kelly suggestions, which of
course may have contributed to problems. More on this in a moment. So as
have said, I am working to create a multilevel outline not a multilevel
list
so that 1.) expand or hide lower-level elements, and 2.) greater control
over the formatting of each level. Now, no sooner do I select some
multi-level list format, then it immediately breaks/disappears in either
the
print view or the outline view. Yes, I am working with the 'define new
multilevel list' values, but what should the baseline values look like,
and
what should the simplest 'heading values' look like?

One point of concern *I* have is that my settings for 'link level to
style:'
at each level reads: '(no style)'. I don't remember changing anything,
but
maybe that is a problem. A general FAQ for all users would help. If I
begin
changing all of these values, and the outline still fail to create a
numbering system, then having a list of the original values would be
ideal.

Possible solutions.
1. Create a FAQ listing the ideal, basic, plain values for the expanded
"define new multilevel list" dialogue - what should the "link level to
style"
"listnum field list name" etc., values be set to? As factory setting-ish
as
possible!

2. Create a FAQ listing the ideal baseline values for the 9 heading
styles.
For example, my 'Heading 2' reads, "Level 2, Style: Linked, Hide until
used,
Quick Style, Priority: 10, Based on: Heading 1, Following style: Normal."
Working with the document suggestions of Shawna Kelly, MVP, listed above,
may have improperly altered the heading styles default values. As there
is
no "return to factory settings" button (so far as I know), a list of the
simplest values would be useful. It should be clear from the values
listed
here that I want my base outline Heading values to have no special
formatting: no bold, no blue fonts, no varied font size, no italics, and
so
forth. Ideally, in the future I might want a way to invoke different
outline
styles, so for one style 'Heading 2' would use a blue font and for another
style 'Heading 2" would use a green font. But that is an elaboration.

3. Put these default value FAQs on a shared visible space. The Word 2007
homepage http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...649251033.aspx and
help-pages tell you from their perspective how to do things, but not how
undue them. [and this is the web page that returns the 'create a
multilevel
list' page noted above to the question of how to 'create a multi-level
outline.'

Ps. I found a copy of "MS Windows Mail 6.0.6" on my Vista64 machine which
in
turn provided some access to
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsof...word.numbering which in
turn
provided access to 'multilevel lists lose link styles' of 11/20/2009 which
in
turn leads to questions of properly linking the list to the headings.
Still
I am going to respond to this question via MS's own website, even though
it
now appears that if I get the HTTP 408 Request Timeout or HTTP 409
Conflict,
then their Site in fact has not sent the message. Then I alt=right arrow
back
a window, wait, and try to resent it till I get the 'close window' msg. I
haven't been able figure out how to send windows mail to a particular
newsgroup (i.e. microsoft.public.word.docmanagement).