Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Geodesic Geodesic is offline

Default Word07 Outline won't properly number

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
I think you're still not getting it; you create outlines by using styles.
You number those styles using multilevel list numbering.

That may be, but I already drew attention to to how I had to use the article
by Shauna Kelly, MVP to change the styles of "Heading1", "Heading2", etc.
because of problems I was already having. That is why I sought to see if
there was a FAQ listing what either the ideal, or the original, or the
'usual' settings for Headings 1-9 might be, thinking that maybe the settings
were wrong, breaking a proper link between the outline and the styles.

Let's do this step by step. Suppose I open the outline view, shift back to
the home ribbon, and choose the 1/1.1/1.1.1 outline style from multilevel
list.

I go down to the first line of the document, and type something. I see the
number 1 appear; then I hit return, type something, and see the 2 appear on
the second line, and 3 on the third line. Very nice, so far.

Now I demote that third line to be a subset or child of the second line,
using the alt-shft-left arrow shortcut so that I can watch the following
occur... I see the style shift to 'heading2' on the ribbon... but instead of
a 2.1 prefix, the number 3 remains. If I demote it further, I can watch the
Heading2 shift to Heading3, but instead of getting something like 2.1.1, it
remains 3, and remains number #3 all the way up to Heading9. You might not
think I am watching the "styles" but it looks to me like I am.

Now I go back to the 'multilevel list' on the home ribbon, open it, and what
do I see highlighted as my current choice: you guessed it, 1, 1.1, 1.1.1...
as my numbering choice.

More evidence. I have the Heading3 set to 'bold' the text. Now as I demote
my element and its text, and I can watch the text go from not bold
(heading2/level2)... to bold (heading3/level3)... and back to 'not bold'
(heading4/level4) - again using the alt-shift-arrow shortcut. At no point
does the numbering change (except to become bold at heading3).

You might not think that I understand the link between numbering and styles,
but I still don't believe the link is working. That, of course, is why I
pointed out what the values were of a sample of my heading styles, and of the
'define new multilevel list'

What I asked in the last note was whether anyone knew what the default or
ideal settings for these headings might be. And I expressed in that post, I
hope that such settings could be noted in a FAQ somewhere, ideally on MS's
own site.