Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Word07 Outline won't properly number

Note that there are (at least in my copy of Word 2007) two selections in the
Multilevel List gallery that have 1, 1.1, 1.1.1 numbering. The first does in
fact have all the levels linked to (no style). But if you select the one
that actually displays Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3, etc., you should
find that it is linked to the heading styles.

http://word.mvps.org

"Geodesic" wrote in message
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
I cannot imagine any explanation for what you're seeing if the numbering
levels are properly linked to the styles.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" 2/12/2010 1:37 PM PST
"If you apply the 1, 1.1, 1.1.1 numbering to the built-in heading styles,
then the heading styles will be numbered as you prefer (including
indents)."

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" 2/11/2010 11:07 PM PST
"Click More to expand the dialog, and you will see that the levels are
linked to the built-in heading styles by default."

Sigh. What I kept asking was what these "defaults" were, what a "properly
linked" level looked like, what the values for the default "built-in
heading
styles" might be set to. And I inquired if there was a place, a FAQ,
where I
could do a run-down of the settings to figure out if some value or setting
was off. Given that I am simply a writer who is used to OfficeXP and
earlier, I don't know what I am looking for, nor what the setting should
look
like.

So looking to suggestion elsewhere, I finally determined that the 'link
level to style' in the 'define new multilevel list' dialog should not have
been set to '(no style)'. I don't mean to impugn anyone trying to help,
but
that was in an earlier post. In the 'define new multilevel list' dialog,
when I manually reset the 'level 2' setting of 'link level to style'
dialog
to 'heading2' and so on down the line, the outline began to work.

Now I have to figure out how to change the default. That is, when I went
another 'multi-level' numbering list style, I found that all of *its*
'link
level to style' values were set to ''(no style)' and that when I went back
the old 1/1.1/1.1.1 numbering style in a new document, it had its
multilevel
list link values reset to, you guessed it, '(no style).' If I invoke, say,
1/a/i/1/a/i, a numbering style I don't remember using lately, the values
in
the 'define new multi-level list' dialog for level 2 are currently to, but
of
course, '(no style)'.

G.