MichaelSedley

Hi,

I've been using INCLUDETEXT successfully for some time, but a problem has
developed that maybe one of you guys can help me with.

The included document have internal links - i.e., I've included a document
Chapter2.doc using { INCLUDETEXT "Chapter2.doc" }

Chapter2.doc has cross-reference links WITHIN the document - e.g., a link on
page 3 of Chapter 2 to a bookmark on page 5 of Chapter 2.

Until now, when I inserted the file, the links automatically pointed to the
correct page on the Parent document - e.g., if Chapter2 started on page 10,
then the internal link automatically updates to show page 15.

As of last week, all links changed and now point to the end of the included
document. (e.g. if the inserted Chapter2 runs from page 10-20, all cross
references point to page 20)

I've tried updating fields (CTRL+F9), I've tried adding a /! switch (which
makes links point to the page on the sub-document, not the parent document),
I've tried screaming at the computer - but so far nothing has worked.

HELP!!

Michael

"robfer" wrote:

Thanks, Daiya and Suzanne, for your great suggestion for inserting
IncludeText fields. This method is much faster than my stumbled-upon method,
and it doesn't require me to update a field immediately after creating it;
IncludeText fields inserted this way work properly from the get-go.

I still have two issues, though, and maybe you can help me out once more.

Issue 1: What's the best way to maintain the link between the included text
in a destination document and the source document? I've noticed that if I
move the source document to a different folder after I insert an IncludeText
field, the field can't find the source document; links aren't dynamically
maintained. Must the source document remain in its original location? If I
move it, must I also manually change the path in each affected field? In
short, how must I manage source and destination files to maintain links?

Issue 2: The paragraphs in each included text must have specific formats.
For example, if the source text consists of an introductory paragraph and
five paragraphs of numbered steps, then the included text in each destination
file must also consist of an introductory paragraph and five numbered
paragraphs, with each paragraph being indented and numbered correctly. I
assume this means that the source text needs to be fully formatted (with all
paragraph marks as well as text selected at the time I create a bookmark for
the source text), and that the same template that's applied to the
destination file needs to be applied to the source file as well. Is this
true? Or is there a simpler, cleaner way of doing this?

Thanks again,
Rob

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Another way to do this is to use Insert | File and choose Insert as Link,
which creates an IncludeText field. If you want to include only specific
bookmarked text in that document, you can enter the bookmark as the Range.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org