Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Default Word should have colored tabs for opened documents

I don't normally let myself get involved in threads like this, and really
don't care whether or not Word has a 'tab feature' (unless I'm forced to use
such a thing against my will) but ...

... the equivalent of worksheet tabs in Excel is *not* document tabs in
Word. The Excel equivalent of a Document is a Work*Book* and Excel does not
have workbook tabs. It is just as awkward - or just as easy, depending on
your point of view - to work with multiple workbooks in Excel as it is to
work with multiple documents in Word. In fact, if anything, I would say it
is probably easier to navigate a document in Word than it is to navigate a
workbook in Excel.

It is highly unlikely that I will reply to any response to this; I just
thought the point of fact was worth making.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Peter A" wrote in message
om...
In article ,
says...
Please add the worksheet feature of Excel in Word to coordinate the
handling
and managing of multiple opened docs. Each document should be a tab
inside of
ONE application of Word. Right now it is an absolute PITA to work with
say 5
opened documents, especially if I have five or more different
applications
running in the background. I know about switching windows but I can skip
that
if the tabs are right there. Streamline.

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

I disagree - in fact, I wish they would change Excel to work the way
Word does. Having each open Word doc in its own program window greatly
simplifies tasks that require viewing 2 or more docs at the same time.

To be honest, though, you would think that the programming whizzes in
Redmond could figure out a way to let the user select either display
method.

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers