Greg Maxey

Jack,

To delete the text and the frame it would be

ActiveDocument.Frames(i).Range.Delete 'deletes the text
ActiveDocument.Frames(i).Delete 'deletes the frame

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

Jack Sons wrote:
Greg,

Your help was enormous!

What you wrote (I found through experimentation that if
I just deleted the frames then any border and fill effects in the
frame would be transfered to the text paragraphs.) enlightened me,
now I understand. Of course I thought that with deleting the frame
and its border one would also lose the text. Apparently that is not
the case.

Thanks again.

Jack.

"Greg Maxey" gro.spvm@yexamg (thats my e-mail address backwards)
schreef in bericht ...
Jack,

I am afraid that my usefulness to you has about run its course :-)

The code does look at all shapes, if the shape is a textbox it
converts it to a frame, removes any borders and fill effects from
the frame and then deletes the frame leaving the text. I found
through experimentation that if I just deleted the frames then any
border and fill effects in the frame would be transfered to the text
paragraphs.

I will have to defer to others as to the technical difference
between a frame and textbox.

RTF is, I think, "Raw Text Format." I have never monkeyed around
very much with differenct types of text, but why don't you just try
saving your RTF file as a Word.doc and see what happens :-)

I have a hard time figuring out the workings of a simple screw, so I
can't be of much help with the workings of your scanner. Sorry.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

Jack Sons wrote:
Greg,

Thank you for your macro, it worked.

How did it work? I think it converts each textbox to a frame without
(visible) borders. What is the essential difference between a
textbox and a frame ?
And what is done with the frames, I can't find them in the result.
To me it looks like a normal document, without any objects, just
characters as it should be.

Would the result of using "the plain text output of the software",
as Graham advised, (if I would know how to do that) give a different
result?

Before and after the use of the macro the resulting document is a
rtf-file (result.rtf). What does that extension inplicate? Can I
rename it as a doc-file (result.doc) without repercussions?

Last question (for now): why does the scanning process result in a
textbox output in stead of "normal text"?

Jack.

"Greg Maxey" gro.spvm@yexamg (thats my e-mail address backwards)
schreef in bericht ...
Jack Sons,

Yes Graham is probably right. I cobbled together the following
which first converts textboxes to frames and then removes the
frame.

Sub ScratchMacro()
'Convert textbox text to plain text
Dim oShp As Shape
Dim i As Integer
For Each oShp In ActiveDocument.Shapes
If oShp.Type = msoTextBox Then oShp.ConvertToFrame
Next oShp
For i = ActiveDocument.Frames.Count To 1 Step -1
With ActiveDocument.Frames(i)
.Borders.Enable = False
With .Shading
.Texture = wdTextureNone
.ForegroundPatternColor = wdColorAutomatic
.BackgroundPatternColor = wdColorAutomatic
End With
End With
Next
End Sub

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

Jack Sons wrote:
Hi all,

I scanned a document of may pages. The result (a rtf-file) looks
fine, but in reality the text I see is not "text in a document"
but text in textboxes.

I really need this to convert to text "directly in the document",
like in any "normal" document. I mean that it will be as if I
typed it directly into the document.

Of course I could select (highlight) the text in the first textbox
and than paste it to a new document (a doc-file), do the same with
the text of the next textbox, past it below the first text in the
new docment etc. I tried, did it for a lot of textboxes, but it
will be
very tedious to do it with the whole document because of the many
hundreds - maybe thouthands - of textboxes, some of which contain
only a single line of text..

Also there is a strange effect, when I try to "control c -
control v " the highlighted text of a textbox to the other
document, suddenly it is not the text that is copied to the new
document, but the whole textbox, and so it just moved the problem
from one document to the other one.

Can anyone show me a way out? Perhaps with VBA it will be possible
to convert all textboxes at once to normal text.

I am in very urgent need for advice. Please help.

Jack Sons
The Netherlands