Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jbLL jbLL is offline

Default How do I import styles from one document into an existing docu

Great! Yes, this does it. You are a life/timesaver. No way does Microsoft's
help lead me to figure this out! Mucho gracias.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

Do you have an existing template you want to use, or do the styles you want
to copy exist only in a document file? I find that Word will let me "apply"
a different document's styles to a given document, but that unless the
format is .docx, Word tells me it's not a valid template. So, for example,
if I apply the styles in document1.doc, I get an error message, but if the
file is document1.docx, it works fine. It seems to work even when there's an
error message, but it leaves you with an uncomfortable sense that something
didn't quite go as planned.

The more traditional route, however, is to apply a .dot, .dotx, or .dotm
(template files) to a document.

Having said all that... the method is as follows:

1. Developer tab.

2. Click Document Template.

3. Click Attach to navigate to the target document or template.

4. Once back in the Templates and Add-ins dialog, click to enable
Automatically update document styles.

5. Click OK.

Note: if the Developer tab is missing, choose Office button - Word Options -
Popular tab, and click to enable "Show Developer tab in the ribbon".

Mind you, I don't know of a non-programmatic way to do 15 documents at once,
unless all of them have Automatically update enabled at the outset and are
already attached to the desired template... in which case you probably
wouldn't be asking the question.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"jbLL" wrote in message
Used to be able to import styles from one document into another (already
existing) document. I see that I can start a new document an apply Quick
Styles--but I have 15 documents from assorted writers and I want to apply
my
same styles to all of them. Can't figure out any way to do this in Word
2007.

any ideas??