Jeni Q

We're using Excel, not Access. Will this work the same? Do I use this
library for the connection: Microsoft ActiveX Data Object 2.5 Library?

Also, I do not want to automatically input data from my form into the
database. I only want the data to come from the spreadsheet into the letter.
Does the example to which you pointed me allow me to have this sort of
one-way connection?

Thanks,
Jennifer

"Doug Robbins" wrote in message
: There are better ways of doing what the user wants. One is contained in
the
: last of the following series of articles:
:
: Please Fill Out This Form
: Part 1: Create professional looking forms in Word
: http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=22
:
: Part 2: Adding Automation to your Word forms.
: http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=46
:
: Part 3: Learn more VBA (macros) to automate your forms.
: http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=119
:
: Part 4: Use custom dialog boxes in your Word forms
: http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=127
:
: Part 5: Connect your AutoForm to a database to save input time and keep
: better records!
: http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=136
:
:
: --
: Hope this helps.
:
: Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
: services on a paid consulting basis.
:
: Doug Robbins - Word MVP
: "Jeni Q" wrote in message
: ...
: In the MS Help, it says the following:
: Restore a mail merge main document to a regular document
: By removing the associated data source from a main document, you
can
: convert it to a regular document.
:
: 1.. Open the main document from which you want to remove the data
: source.
: 2.. On the View menu, point to Toolbars, and then click Mail
Merge.
: 3.. Click Main Document Setup .
: 4.. Click Normal Word document.
:
:
: OK, so I tried this on one of these completed documents and the radio
: button
: is already set to Normal Word Document.
:
: It may be helpful to explain what I'm doing. I have a letter that has
form
: fields in it. These fields relate back to an excel spreadsheet. When the
: user wants to create a new letter, he updates the fields in the
: spreadsheet.
: He is typically creating one letter at a time, not many. The fields are
: manually entered into the spreadsheet in one location, and they are
copied
: from that location to a temporary place in the spreadsheet. That way he
: can
: keep a record of the letters he's sent, but has a separate page in which
: he
: can paste one row of data for a single merge. The Word template is
: associated to the data, and the location of the data always remains the
: same.
:
: It must be something about the template, the way it stores the
connection
: the data fields...
:
:
: "Jeni Q" wrote in message
: ...
: : Hello. I've read KB 825765 so I understand when and why I get prompted
: with
: : the "Opening this will run the following SQL command" message when you
: open
: : a Word mail merge main document that is linked to a data source.
: :
: : However, I do not understand why I get prompted for the document after
: the
: : merge has run and my new document has been created and saved. When I
: close
: : and reopen the newly created document, I still get the prompt. There
is
: : obviously a data attachment still existing. Is there any way to break
: that
: : attachment?
: :
: : I may not be understanding clearly how the merge process worked. I
: thought
: : it brought data into the new document and that's it. Is it
continuously
: : going to the data source to get the data?
: :
: : Any help/advice would be appreciated.
: :
: : Thanks,
: : Jennifer Dickens
: :