Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed Ed is offline

Default More TOC help, please?

Okay - after reading through some stuff on the Word FAQ site, Shauna Kelly's
site, and Suzanne Barnhill's site, I've got most of this resolved. I edited
my heading styles, reapplied the styles, and edited the field code to take
out numbering for Heading 1. (If anyone is just throwing out questions here
and not reading these articles, you are missing great wealth!)

I am currently left with only one major nagging issue (others will crop up,
I'm sure!): my page numbers don't align on the right side. That is, I
would like the right edges of my one-digit numbers to match the right edges
of my two-digit page numbers. I have "Right Align Numbers" checked, and
even modified the TOC style as "Justified". Nothing seems to work, though.
Any suggestions?

Ed

"Ed" wrote in message
I have inherited a document with a TOC field. Every time I choose to
update the entire field, though, it goes haywire! I hope someone can help.

I have two styles used - Heading 1 and Heading 2. I believe they are both
resident in the document, and not necessarily the same as those styles in
my Normal template. At the moment, Heading 1 styles are formatted in the
TOC as bold, underlined, and no page number. Heading 2 styles are not
bold or underlined, and have a dotted tab leader to a right-aligned page
number. This is good and I want to keep it. The current field code is
{TOC \O "1-2" \Z}.

When I try to update the entire table, the Heading 1 styles are bold and
underlined, but have a page number, and the underline extends to the
number. The Heading 2 styles lose the dotted tab leader. Also, the tab
setting is changed to stop at mid-page. I've tried changing the TOC style
when I update, but it keeps getting worse!

It's probably time to start from scratch! What settings am I looking for
when I make this?

Ed