Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Word 2003, How to Save Filters Permanently?

What type of data source are you using, and which facilities in Word are you
using to filter? (Word does different things depending on whether you e.g.
select specfic records using their checkboxes in Mailmerge Recipients, or
using the drop-downs in the column headers in that dialog, or using the
Query Options dialog)

but some changes have been made in the database, all advanced filter

Are these structural changes (e.g. someone has added columns) or changes to
the database content (e.g. someone has added/deleted rows?

There are general problems in this area and there may be an error in Word
that will lose your sorts/filters however you set them up, but if that is
the case, then what I had in mind was that once you set up the sorts/filters
you want, you use a bit of VBA to save the SQL query that Word constructs
from your specifications, and when you re-open the document, you use another
bit of VBA to re-instate that query. Not very nice, but I think it is at
least feasible, as long as you are allowed to run VBA macros (and
preferably, as long as you are the only user). But if you are selecting
individual records in the MailMerge Recipients, Word does not modify the SQL
query's WHERE clause - it just stores a list of selected records - so that
approach would not be enough.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Kate" wrote in message
I use Word 2003 to produce a report with Mailmerge, I set up filters for
the
specific data in the complex database. If Ill keep same datasource for
next
report, but some changes have been made in the database, all advanced
filter
that were set up will disappear and I need to set up all filters all over
again. Is there a way to keep filters permanently?
--
Thanks,
Kate