Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] William.Gunn@gmail.com is offline

Default What is the best way to set up this kind of formatting?

Well, that sounded like exactly what I was looking for, but maybe I
have to play with it a bit. The insert style separator method
sounded the most promising, but if it just paints over the character
style, it won't set the numbering correctly. In fact, if I set heading
3to bold and set the numbering style, then convert the paragraph to
body text style, then select just the first sentence and set that to
heading 3, it doesn't paint over the numbering, just the character
style. Additionally, setting the text to body text style removes
existing direct formatting, such as superscripts. Since I'm writing a
scientific paper, that requires quite a bit of going back through and
reformatting of things written in scientific notation, references, and
other notations typically rendered in superscript, such as cell surface
marker notation. I don't have any equations, thank god.

Also, both the style separator and hidden paragraph aren't known to
work well with other versions of Word, and that's a problem because my
colleagues are barely computer literate and use whatever version of
word their IT person installed, whenever he last visited, which could
have been years ago. I need something that degrades gracefully.

Everyone in my field uses Word, so I don't relish the idea of being the
lone weirdo who uses LaTeX, but Microsoft isn't making maintaining this
façade of normalcy very easy, and at least if I send around a PDF, I
know what it'll look like on their machine.

wrote:
That's EXACTLY what I was looking for. If only I had known it was
called a run-in sidehead...

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
What you are doing is using run-in sideheads, and the best way to achieve
this is with two separate styles, one for the heading part and one for the
body text part, in separate paragraphs. You get them to appear to be in the
same paragraph by using a style separator or a hidden paragraph mark. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/RunInSidehead.htm

wrote in message
ps.com...
So I realize that doing like I am, I actually have no body text, rather
the whole document is headings, subheadings, and subsubheadings. This
seems to me like a perversion of the intent of the heading style, but
nonetheless, I wanted a section heading in front of each block of text,
numbered appropriately, without a paragraph break in between the number
and the text.

Instead of:
bA.1./b
body text here
bA.2./b
body text here

I needed

bA.1./b body text here
bA.2./b body text here.

This doesn't sound like too exotic of a request, but it doesn't look
like there's a way to have two different styles on the same line, since
everything is delimited by the paragraph break. What am I missing out
on?

wrote:
I have read Mrs. Kelly's extensive and helpful documentation on using
styles, and I now have my bullets and headings set up as she
recommends, cascading and working as they should. What I'd like to do
is set up the following formatting, and I can do it with no problem
thanks to her advice, but I'm not sure which is the best way to proceed
so that everyone I'll be sending this to will see the same formatting.

Here's the question: I need 4 levels of headings. Heading 1 is one
word, bold. Heading 2 is one sentence, bold. Heading 3 is a
paragraph, of which only the first sentence is bold and the rest is
styled like body text. Should I direct format the first sentence of
Heading 3, or is there a way to set up the paragraph style for heading
three such that all paragraphs of heading 3 style will have the first
sentence bold and the rest styled like body text?

Here's an example of the structure I'm going for, in case it isn't
clear above. (side question:does google groups allow any kind of
mark-up?)

bA - Top-level section Heading/b
bA.1./b bSecond level section heading/b
bA.1.1/b bFirst sentence of this section./b The rest of the
text in this paragraph, styled as body text, would go here. I've got a
couple sentences here. After that, I have another paragraph, formatted
just like this one.
bA.1.2./bbThe First sentence of this section/b The rest of the
text, body text style.The rest of the text in this paragraph, styled as
body text, would go here. I've got a couple sentences here. After
that, I have another paragraph, formatted just like this one.
bA.1.3./bbbThe First sentence of this section/b The rest of
the text, body text style.The rest of the text in this paragraph,
styled as body text, would go here. I've got a couple sentences here.
After that, I have another paragraph, formatted just like this one.
bB - Top level section heading/b
bB.1./b bSecond level section heading/b
bB.1.1/b bFirst sentence of this section./b The rest of the
text in this paragraph, styled as body text, would go here. I've got a
couple sentences here. After that, I have another paragraph, formatted
just like this one.
bB.1.2./bbThe First sentence of this section/b The rest of the
text, body text style.The rest of the text in this paragraph, styled as
body text, would go here. I've got a couple sentences here. After
that, I have another paragraph, formatted just like this one.
bB.1.3./bbbThe First sentence of this section/b The rest of