Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Julian Maples[_2_] Julian Maples[_2_] is offline

Default contacting the server for information

Well said, Beth.

Suzanne, if you don't know the answer, please find the guy who does. There
will be someone in Msft who knows and these are your customers. Marketing
will tell you that it is even better to spend effort to keep existing
customers than try to get new ones. Compare the efforts you are making with
the amount spent on advertising.

I agree with Beth that this is a very recent problem. I too have been
enjoying Word 2007's superior (to Word 2003) pasting abilities enabling me to
create proper and complete files on subjects for some time now.

Some commentators on other sites say that this problem can be solved by
deleting and causing Word to re-create normal.dot files. i.e. that this
problem is caused by corrupted normal.dot files. This used to be an issue in
earlier versions of Word.

I have searched for normal.dot files but can only find a normal.dotm file.
Perhaps that is because I am runnning Vista?

"beth2000" wrote:

Suzanne, I know you're trying to help, but this problem with the pasting in
Word for me just started in the last week or so. I've had this version of
Word for the better part of two years and I've never had issues with this
thing of having to "Paste Special" instead of just pasting with no stalling
of the program to do this "contacting the server" thing. So this is not just
some aspect of the program and it has been there all along.

In thinking about it, I suspect that MS has changed something in its
updates, probably for security or anti-piracy sake, but whatever it is now
had the unintended consequence (or intended) of interrupting every one of
these actions that involves cutting and pasting.

That is why I kind of don't buy into this idea that you are promoting that
this is just a normal thing that was always in Word 2007 and it is operating
just the way MS intended it to. It is not operating the way it was
originally intended, and I really resent having to deal with this extra step
to paste something. This is an issue I also have with MS, that it pulls
these kind of things and then doesn't own up to their part in the matter and
tries to act like it is helping and it is users that just don't understand
the product of don't know how to use it.

It is unacceptable that a user has to go through a big production like this
in order to do a simple operation.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Have you tried pasting as unformatted text?

http://word.mvps.org

"tonyk" wrote in message
Are you serious that Microsoft hasn't found an issue for this yet? SO
MANY
PEOPLE HAVE THIS ISSUE!!!. Search some threads on the internet, and NO
it
is NOT an acceptable solution to paste just text, when sometimes we need
the
formatting from the websites. PLEASE help fix this problem!.

"Kristy Walker" wrote:

I have copied text from a website and pasted it into Word. I keep getting
the
message "contacting the server for information" while the document
freezes
for 10-15 seconds. This happens repeatedly. How can I stop this? I do not
need the document tied in any way to the original website, nor do I need
any
tie to HTML. (The file is saved as a DOC.)