Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default mail merge greeting-why are spaces added

If you are using the GREETINGLINE field, it may be because you have chosen
the layout that inserts "Mr. Joshua Randall Jr."

In that case, if there is a firstname field, you will get
courtesytitlespacefirstnamespacelastname
but if there is no firstname, you will get
courtesytitlespacespacelastname

- if you use ctrl-F9 to examine the contents of the GREETINGLINE field, it
is fairly clear to me why this is so.

I wouldn't try to work around this by editing the GREETINGLINE field - it's
probably better - though not particularly easy - to insert individual fields
with the logic necessary to insert the spaces you need.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"fustrated165" wrote in message
when I do a mail merge spaces are sometimes added.
ie Mr. Jones Mr. Adams one space sometimes and sometimes 2 spaces are
added instead.
When I manually try to remove it, when I print it, it reverts to two
spaces
Any ideas?