Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andy at Trinity

Default How do I get rid of Asian Typography in Word?

Thanks for your persistence. However, having done all below, rebooted the PC,
and subsequently also used the Add/Remove Program feature for Microsoft Word,
to remove all International support (under Office Shared Features - I've X'd
every one of the options from Armenian down to Simplified Chinese), I *still*
have the corner cross hairs, Asian Typography, etc. I tried killing my
normal.dot file to get that regenerated from defaults, but that made no
difference.

I'm sure that this should be simple - but is there some combination of
Office XP / 2003 / Project / IE / etc. that means these sort of configuration
items don't get propagated correctly?

Fingers crossed that you (or someone else out there) has some idea of how to
fix this!)

Andy

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

Click on Start | Control Panel | Regional & Language
Options.

On the Regional Options tab, select English UK under "Standards
and formats", and select UK under "Location".

On the Languages tab, click on Details | Settings tab | Default
input language: English UK | OK, and uncheck the "Install files
for complex script and right-to-left languages" and "Install
files for East Asian languages" boxes | Apply | OK.

Andy at Trinity wrote:

Thanks for this. The KB article was very interesting, as the crop marks did,
indeed, turn up at the same time that all the Asian stuff turned up.

I followed the instructions in the KB (and as noted by Tony in his post) and
my Office Language list is just English UK (which I can't delete - it's
greyed out) and English US. However, Word still has the crop marks at the
corner of each page, and insists on keeping all the Asian notation, options,
etc.

Under Tools/Language, this 'feature' also added the Japanese Consistency
Checker; under Tools/Options there are "Japanese Find" and "Asian Typography"
options, as well as the points I noted below.

Any other ideas on how to fix this (is it possible that the language
selection under Start/Programs/Office/etc. isn't correctly kicking all the
office apps to remove the Asian stuff?)

Andy

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=839371 "Margin marks or
crop marks appear on each corner of the page when you open a
document in Word 2002 or in Word 2003".

Andy at Trinity wrote:

Some time past my copy of Word decided it would add Asian Typography options
in Format/Paragraph and various Asian-related add-ons in the Tools/Options
tabs, and now even my Normal Font shows up as (Asian) Times Roman... etc.

How do I get rid of this stuff - I neither need, nor want it?