Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Is it ok to print a Word document from a USB flash drive?

In this case, it appears that perhaps the speed of transfer might be an
issue rather than the size of the drive. Not to mention the speed with which
the user removes the drive (i.e., like a floppy, if it's removed before Word
gets through with it, you'll end up with garbage).

"Larry" wrote in message
Well, I was asking for a friend who moves back and forth between computers
and likes to do that. I personally never work on a removable medium,

having
absorbed that lesson from the Word newsgroups over the years. Also, I did
wonder if the USB flash drive since it is so large would be different from

floppy in this regard.

"Aalaan" wrote in message
The answer is certainly no. Word makes use of various temporary files as

it
works (excuse pun). Saving to portable media is invariably too slow and
files get easily corrupted. You *may* be OK loading *from* but why not

just
get into the habit of copying to the main hard drive and always working

from
there?

"Larry" wrote in message
Based on what is said in the groups, that it is not safe to work on a
document on a removable medium, but that we should copy the document

hard disk and work on it there, I suppose the answer to my question

will
be
no. But I just wanted to be sure.