Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default End of document paragraph symbol

I can suggest where the confusion lies, but you'll have to look at
your own document to see whether I'm correct.

If there is a paragraph mark at the end of the last paragraph of
visible text, and another paragraph mark after that, then the
professor would be correct in saying that there is an "additional"
paragraph mark.

That is, at the end of the document you should see

This is the last paragraph of visible text.¶

but not

This is the last paragraph of visible text.¶

In the latter case, if you put the cursor after that last period and
press Delete, you can delete the first of the two marks but not the
second -- any more than one press of Delete will be ignored.

So if your document looks like the first example, you should not have
lost any credit; if it looks like the second example, the professor is
correct.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 16:53:01 -0700, TestThis4x4
wrote:

Wow! I didn't realize it was so involved! I'm taking a course on computer
integration and my professor's noted in my homework assignment:

"There are to be no additional paragraph symbols at the end of the document
even if the file that is downloaded has them. There are also to be no
additional blank pages at the end of the document. Do not use multiple spaces
or tabs to align text. I suggest students have show on so they can see all
the hidden symbols (tabs, spaces, paragraphs, page breaks)."

So I got credit marked off my assignment because I had a paragraph symbol at
the end of my document.

Do I understand the professor correctly?