Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
anne anne is offline

Default Table of Contents says "this file could not be found"

Hi Stefan,

I'm using Word 2007 and saving as compatible with Word 97-2003 (as the
organisation I'm working for only has Word 2003). Yes, am using RD fields.
Don't know the difference between full & relative paths, but after "RD" I
leave a space then type the name of the document then .doc, i.e. I don't put
C:\ etc in. This has worked well in the past, but not now for some
inexplicable reason!! Trust this is enough info to get to the bottom of the
problem!!

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Which version of Word are you using? Assuming that you are making use of RD
fields, did you specify full or relative paths to the files?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Anne" wrote in message
Have set up TOC doc to gather headings from several other documents. It's
been working very well but suddenly when updating it, it says "this file
could not be found" and also "Error! cannot open file referenced on page
1".
All documents and TOC doc are in the same folder. This happened the other
day and the following day the TOC updated beautifully! Today it's
refusing
to update again. I've been having trouble with headers in the other
documents (now apparently solved) and maybe have inadvertently done
something
incorrectly. Would be over the moon if someone could help me!