Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
IVAN IVAN is offline

Default error msg. "External component has thrown an exception"

My fax system, automates MS Word and does a Mail/Merge operation using a Word
document and an Access database. I look for marker characters (?) in the word
document and replace them with merge fields. The program would stop at the
Find function and give the error message: €śExternal component has thrown an
exception€ť . Here is a code excerpt with the problem statement highlighted:

' Go to top of page

' ----------------------------

CW("Insert Merge Fields")

appWD.Selection.HomeKey(Unit:=WdUnits.wdStory)

' Find 1st question mark (SENDER_NAME)

' ------------------------------------

With appWD.Selection.Find

.ClearFormatting()

.Text = "?"

.Execute(Forward:=True)

End With

appWD.Selection.Find.Execute()

' Create Sender Name merge field

appWD.ActiveDocument.MailMerge.Fields.Add(Range:=a ppWD.ActiveWindow.Selecton.Range, _

Name:="SenderName")

I first removed fix KB929061 €“ Problem persisted

I then removed KB920816 €“ Problem persisted

When I removed KB929063, everything started working.

I wonder if its only KB929063 or a combination of the above that caused the
problem.

Hope someone can help.