Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Outlining/Creating a TOC from a multilevel list

For this to work you would have to turn off the "Automatically update"
setting for the TOC styles; otherwise, all entries at the selected level
will be formatted as hidden. And, as you noted, you will have to lock the
TOC field (which could cause confusion if/when the document is sent to
someone else).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Word Angel" wrote in message
On Jan 14, 3:15 pm, Wendy wrote:
That was very helpful, though not entirely what I'm looking for.
Let's say I want something like this:
1.0 Heading 1
1.1 Heading 2
1.1.1 Body Text
1.1.2 Body Text
1.2 Heading 2
1.2.1 Body Text
2.0 Heading 1
2.1 Body Text
2.2 Body Text
3.0 Heading 1
3.1 Heading 2
3.1.1 Body Text
3.2 Heading 2

So in this case I want 1.1, 1.2, 3.1, and 3.2 to appear in the TOC, but
not
2.1 and 2.2. Also possible that, even though 3.1 and 3.2 are H2's, I might
not want them in the TOC because it would be hugely long, but I would want
them to appear in the document map that users could turn on/off at their
own
accord.

Thanks for your help

Wendy,
Here's a simpler trick I like to use. This way doesn't make any
changes to your existing styles, but just let's you modify the TOC
whenenever you need to.
Generate your TOC so that it pulls in headings 1 thru 3. Then go thru
the TOC and highlight the items you don't want to appear and make it
hidden text. Granted you'll have to repeat this everytime you update
the TOC, but it's a great workaround. If you don't want others to
update the TOC you can lock it before you send it out by highlighting
the TOC and hit CNTRL+F11. CNTRL+Shift key+F11 to unlock it.

Hope that helps!
Angel Bivins

www.wordangel.com