Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim B

Default Number of pages should restart with section page numbers

Suzanne, I'm convinced.

I had no idea that I could modify the AutoText entries that come with Word.
(There is no menu item that says Autotext/Edit, and I had not searched the
help for that task.) Thank you very much.

"Oh. Never Mind."
-Gilda Radner as Emily Litella

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you want Page X of Y to use SectionPages instead of NumPages, you can
certainly change it (create a new AutoText entry and save it as "Page X of
Y"), or you could create a new AutoText entry using SectionPages and call
it, say, Page X of Z. Word's major strength is not in its ability to be all
things to all people but in its customizability for the way *you* want it to
work.

"Jim B" wrote in message
Suzanne, thank you for your prompt reply.

As you wrote, it would be absurd to suggest that the NumPages field to be
equal to SectionPages. They are different variables for different

purposes,
both useful.

Let me try to state my suggestion more clearly.

In the floating "Header and Footer" menu that is visible while editing
headers and footers, the last choice on the menu is "Page X of Y". My
suggestion relates only to the implementation of that menu choice.

When that Autotext item is chosen, Word inserts "Page { PAGE } of
{NUMPAGES}" into the current section's header or footer. My suggestion

is
to change the text expansion to "Page { PAGE } of { SECTIONPAGES }".

Of course, no autotext will be right in all situations. The current
implementation {NumPages} satisfies users who do not restart numbering at
the beginning of sections. In documents like mine that restart the page
numbers at the beginning of a section, {SectionPages} is more appropriate.

In a complex document, headers and footers are defined in Word for each
section. Since you know that the user is in the middle of editing a

section
header or footer when the autotext is available on the menu, it may be

more
natural for Word to insert the section's page count than the document's
length.

In a document without section breaks, the two implementations produce
identical results. I would never have thought of your example, but when a
multi-section chapter restarts numbering, neither field will work.

-Jim

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

No, the NumPages field is the number of pages; it would be absurd for it

be anything else. In your case, SectionPages was the correct field to

use.
In cases where a multi-section chapter restarts numbering (which is
continuous throughout the chapter), neither field will work, and a

different
workaround will be required, but having NumPages equal SectionPages

wouldn't
help there, either.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jim B" Jim wrote in message
The following is a suggestion for Microsoft's next iteration of Word.

I just created a document consisting of three sections. I restarted

page
numbering at 1 in each section. I used the "Page x of y" footer.

Now section 1 has the footers Page 1 of 7, Page 2 of 7. Then section

2
has
pages numbered Page 1 of 7, Page 2 of 7. Section 3 has pages labeled

Page
1
of 7, Page 2 of 7, Page 3 of 7.

I think the last page of each section should always have the same page
number as the page count. (For example, page 2 of 2, page 3 of 3.)

It took a long time for me to figure out how to solved the problem: I
replaced the "y" field with the field code {sectionpages} in the

footer.

Would it be a good idea for Microsoft to change the "Page x of y"

autotext
to default to this?

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click

the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

follow
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.