Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Ed

Default can multiple open mail merge files access the same data file

Hi LarryJL,

If problem is that Word is telling you that the data file is in use
then you might be able to get around this by setting the data file to
be read-only (via right-Click/Properties/General/Read-only).

If the above isn't relevant, someone may be able to help if you can
say what sort of data file you are using and in what way Word is not
allowing you to use it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Ed

"LarryJL" wrote in message
I am using Office 2003. I have more than one mail merge document

using the
same data file. The mail merge docs use different fields in the

data file.
Word doesn't allow me to open the second mail merge file using the

same data
file if the other is open.

Is there a setting that can be changed to allow this?