Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Unwanted text in TOC

No, and even the TOC switches article tells little more than the Help file
because I was not really familiar with those switches when I wrote the
article. Since then I've done a lot more playing around with TOCs, but not
with the \o and \u switches.

Thanks for the reminder about the DM article; I'll read that before I
proceed.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Note that a (brief) description of the \u switch is included in the
article
on the Document Map at http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/DocumentMap.htm
(written by Daiya Mitchell).

Of course, it's still a good idea to explain the switch in your TOC Tips
article. To tell you the truth, I kind of assumed you had already done
that! :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Since I also build TOCs based on styles and rarely fiddle with outline
levels, I also hadn't figured out this difference, but it's wonderfully
useful information to know. When I get a chance, I'll add that to my TOC
Tips article because it does provide a way to add a single heading to a
TOC.

http://word.mvps.org

"Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com" u43222@uwe wrote in message
Hi, Stefan,

Oh, that's a much faster way to clear up the problem TOC--but I'd still
want
to rid my document of those spurious headings and paragraph levels.

I've often wondered about the difference between \o and \u. I've long
added
the paragraph level to style definitions to so the style would get
picked
up
by the TOC, and I've deleted the \u with no effect. Now I know that's
because \u applies to _direct formatting_.

Thanks so much,

Pam

Stefan Blom wrote:
If your assumption is correct, deleting the \u switch from the TOC field
code would suffice (the switch instructs Word to include paragraphs that
have outline levels 1--9 applied as direct formatting). See also
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/DocumentMap.htm.

The unwanted TOC paragraphs may have the wrong paragraph outline
level
applied. This sometimes happens if the the document map has been
opened.
[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]

Thanks.