Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default TXT Files with French accented characters

The problem is that if you add non-ascii characters to a plain text file,
there may not be enough information in the file for Word to determine the
correct ANSI coding. It is not a bug so much as a limitation based on
insufficient information. You can either tell Word to use plain text or the
correct decoding which will probably be Western European (Windows)

Al wrote:
We have discoverd a bug in Word 2002, 2003 and 2007

If you open a .TXT file containing French accented characters, Word
opens the File Conversion dialog box and the default encoding is
Japanese (Shift JIS)

If however, you introduce at least one space before the first accented
character in the TXT file, Word opens the file without going through
the File Conversion dialog box and all the accents are fine.

The Regional Options are set for Canadian Multilingual.

I believe this is a bug in the way Word interprets TXT files.

Has anyone alse seen this before?

Thanks
Al