Daiya Mitchell

Is it correcting the words because the boxes are re-checking themselves
spontaneously, or is it correcting the words despite the boxes remaining
unchecked? The most important thing to uncheck is the "replace text as you
type" box in the Tools | AutoCorrect dialog. Is that what you did?

On 4/7/05 8:51 PM, "ivan's girl" wrote:

In using Word 2003, I have found myself having the same problem as
"golfchick" in a previous "autocorrect help posting," though no one ever gave
her a helpful answer.

My problem is two-fold: First, Even though I have unchecked all boxes in the
AutoCorrect choices, it still automatically changes many misspelled words
automatically as I type. I don't want it to do this, as I want my kids to
know when they've misspelled a word (hence, I've checked "check spelling as I
type"), but I want it to flag it without changing it automatically. How do I
get it to do that?

Additionally, in a moment of irritation, I began simply deleting the
AutoCorrect entries (which list begins with changing the colon/paren with an
actual smiley face), but I discovered that it is a very long list, and that
this wasn't a very good option to accomplish my purposes. Now I would like
to restore that AutoCorrect list with the default list (including once more
the entries I deleted), if anyone knows how to do so.

However, my main goal to make it stop autocorrecting the spelling errors as
I type. I don't know what else to do besides unchecking all the boxes for
AutoCorrect options, which I've done but which hasn't fixed the problem.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/