Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Symbol different between different MS Office versions

WP MathA is, I believe, a Word Perfect font. The font layout in WP's MathA
font is different from Microsoft's Symbol font; that is, the numeric values
of MathA are different from those for Symbol. ----To take a totally **made
up** example: the circle is at , say, 255 in one font and at, say, 123 in
the other). ---- I'm not sure that Word can make that kind of substitution.
Your solution is to have the required font on both machines. Note that if
you are delivering editable Word files and equations, the receiver will have
a problem like yours.

Longer term, you might want to switch to using Unicode (or the ISO Universal
Character Set). All of Mocrosoft's recent fonts (Arial, Times New Roman, etc.
) are Unicode but the ones with the most characters are Arial Unicode and
Cambria Math, which has the math and science characters but not so many world
alphabets. Both are free. Cambria Math comes in the Compatibility Pack that
allows W2000-2003 to read W2007 files.

HTH,
PamC

Biocellguy wrote:
The computer I use at work is on Office 2000 and at home is Office 2003. I
created an equation so letters will be superimposed with a circle on my work
computer in my Word document. My home computer incorrectly assigns the
circle with a different font/symbol. When I open (as I saw in another
persons post) Tools|Options|Compatibility|Font substitution I see Corbel is
substituted with Trebuchet MS, and WP MathA is substituted with Symbol. When
I changed WP MathA to be substituted with a different font, the symbol that
should be a circle changes to something else. Do you know how to bring the
circle back without having to compare my computer with that at my works (I am
working from home this weekend)?

Have a great Independence Day and thank you.