robfer

Default Insert source texts into multiple files and update automatically

In a document that consists of about 20 chapter files, a number of pieces of
text--such as common procedures and lines of code--each appear in more than
one file. What I'd like to do is:

o Put all the pieces of text that appear in multiple locations in one
repository (such as in their own file, or whatever).
o Automatically insert each piece of text into all the locations where it
belongs, in various files.
o Update a piece of text once, in the central repository, and have the
updated version transmitted automatically to each of its locations throughout
the document.
o Quickly check to see that all instantiations and modifications have been
made.

I realize that I can use autotext to do part of this, but autotext seems to
be limited to inserting and updating instances of a text that reside in one
file only.

Any suggestions on how I can achieve my goals?

Thanks,
Rob