Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Daiya Mitchell

Default Master document and section numbering issues and what aboutChapter label?

Hi Jon,

Well, the general advice is to not use Master Documents (more below), but
just to combine into one file. On top of that, you did something funky with
the Heading 1 style, which you probably need to undo. The point of using
styles is that they are consistent throughout a document. Whether your
document is split into 8 files or not, the styles should all be consistent,
as it is metaphorically a single document. (you may have temporarily
changed the numbering while dealing with individual files to help you keep
straight where you are, but when it comes time to collate the doc, change it
back)

I think if you had set up your document and numbering differently, then this
would all go away. E.g., doc all in one file, use Heading 1 for the
numbered chapter title, Heading 2 etc for subsections, then all the
subsections should pick up the chapter number from Heading 1, use it
throughout, and pick up the new number and restart numbering at the next
Heading 1. See here for setting this up:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

Try experimenting with this approach in a copy of your doc.

This will probably raise new questions, but it'll be a lot easier for people
to give advice on answering them. It doesn't make your question #2 go away,
but I think this link solves that within the context of the approach that I
laid out:
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/T...mberedHeadings

Re Master Documents:

Word Heretic might come along and help you out, but most of the people
posting here donąt know much about master documents, because:

Why Master Documents corrupt:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...ocsCorrupt.htm

How to recover a Master Document:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...MasterDocs.htm

Steve Hudson [Word Heretic] on how to make Master Documents work safely:
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ma...dhomepage.html

You might also check these links for potential workarounds:

Creating a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents

See the łNumber Pages Across Files˛ section at this link:
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...r/MiscFram.htm

IncludeText Fields can partially substitute for the Master Document
feature‹for an introduction to them, see he
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...textfields.htm

Word experts generally advise combining long documents into one file, if
possible, and you will find more information on controlling those big files
he
http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm

On 3/6/06 3:26 PM, "Jon Monteleone" wrote:

Greetings
I have a long document spread across 8 separate files. I know how to create
a master document, but when I put all the files into the master, the section
headings all have the same numbering. That is, instead of 1.1 I get 5.1.
For file 2, I get 5.1 instead of 2.1. Etc. I think this occurs because in
each individual file I changed the Heading 1 style to the corresponding
chapter (each chapter is a file) number. So, file 2 gives the correct
headings, i.e. 2.1, 2.1.1 etc, while chapter 2 in the master document gives
5.1, 5.1.1 etc.

#1--Is there a way to get the same style, e.g. Heading 1, to load into the
master document maintaining the style from the individual file?

#2-- I use the Chapter Label style for my chapter #. I use the Chapter title
style for the title of the chapter. How do I get these 2 styles to print on
the same line when I generate my TOC?

#3--Is it possible to base the first section number, e.g. 2.x, on the chapter
label number?

Any help would rock!

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word