Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod macropod is offline

Default Word 2007 Table with Calculation & Dropdown Fields

Hi John,

You should be able to use a formula field coded as:
{=({Dropdown1}+{Dropdown2}+{Dropdown3}+{Dropdown4} )/4 \# 0.00 }
or
{=Average({Dropdown1},{Dropdown2},{Dropdown3},{Dro pdown4}) \# 0.00}
where the field braces (ie '{ }') are all created via Ctrl-F9 and 'Dropdown#' is the bookmark name assigned to each of your
dropdowns.

Note that either formula will fail while there are any non-numeric results in the dropdowns (ie you can't use spaces to indicate
that the assessment is outstanding - you'd need to use 0 instead.

A more complicated construction using an IF test could be used to treat dropdowns with non-numeric results as 0s. A quite complex
construction could even be used to exclude dropdowns with 0s or non-numeric results from the averages.

Whether each dropdown field, or only one of them needs 'calculate on exit' set is up to you. If each has it, the formula will update
as you tab away from each dropdown; otherwise it will only update when you tab away from the one so configured.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Training Spec." wrote in message
In the 4th column of my Table, I have 4 dropdown fields (each has scores of 1
to 5). At the bottom of the 4th column, I have a Calculated field. I have
tried
everyhting to get an Average of the 4 entries (dropdowns) in the cell. I
bookmarked the cells as "e,o,p and w" to represent the scores for Excel,
Outlook, PowerPoint and Word. Then I entered the formula =AVERAGE(e,o,p,w).
That did not work. Next, I tried this formula =AVERAGE(D14). That produced
an error. I tried "Calculate on Exit" with the four dropdown and with/without
"Calculate on Exit" in the formula cell. Nothing works!

If I type in some numbers in the cells, the formula works fine.

Bottom Line: What is the formula for averaging four dropdown fields?

Here's a visual of the 3rd and 4th columns of my Table:
Excel (dropdown)
Outlook (dropdown)
PowerPoint (dropdown)
Word (dropdown)