Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Re-establishing DDE Connection

If the article did not help, can you let us know
a. which versions of Word, Access and Windows you are using? (it may
be useful to know which Service Packs, too)
b. whether you are using .mdb or .accdb, or another type of datbase
format support by Access
c. what exactly you are doing he

the SQL query that opens the mail-merge main document!

i.e., how are you opening
1. the mail merge main document
2. the data source?

FWIW, if you're using Word 2007, opening a .accdb via a DDE connection
programmatically using OpenDataSource does not appear to be possible -
i.e. you can do it in the user interface, and Word remembers the
connection correctly and re-connects via DDE when you re-open, but no
combination of options in OpenDataSource seems to open the file. In
particular, using the Subtype:=wdMergeSubtypeWord2000 option that used
to work in the past does not work because Word insists on trying to open
a .mdb rather than the .accdb that you specified in the Name parameter.
The only simple workaround I can see for that is to rename your database
to have a .accdb extension, but unfortunately I cannot tell you what
impact that might have on other parts of Access or ACE/Jet.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk
Visit Londinium at http://www.ralphwatson.tv

Dave H wrote:
I am having exactly this problem having just upgraded from Access97 to 2007 (which is a crock anyway if you ask me, where are all the nice Table, Query, Forms etc - the 2007 version with them all down the side is a right dog's dinner if you ask me).

Anyway, I am about to try this http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918594

which I though might help Pete, and if that doesn't work will resort to re-writing the SQL query that opens the mail-merge main document!

Anyway, I am hoping this forum helps me a bit!

Peter Jamieson wrote:

Word could not re-establish a DDE Connection to Microsoft Acce
12-Oct-08

1. Which particular method worked?

2. Which version of Windows are you using on the workstations (i.e. not on
the SBS server?)

3. To find out whether access is on the PATH you would need to know the
fully qualified path name of the specific version of Access that Word needs
to open. The file name will probably be MSACCESS.EXE. You may be able to
find the full path name from e.g. an icon on the desktop. You can find out
which folders are in the PATH either by opening a command windows (old-style
"DOS box" and typing PATH, then enter. Otherwise it depends on your version
of Windows, e.g. try something like Control Panel-Systempossibly "Advanced
System Settings" in Vista-Advanced-Environment variables.

Peter Jamieson

"Len" wrote in message

WPF DataGrid Custom Paging and Sorting
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...tom-pagin.aspx