I will merely repeat that none of that is necessary. You can accomplish
exactly the same thing by merely deleting the AutoCorrect entry or pressing
Ctrl+Z after the AutoCorrect fires. All the behaviors you describe are the
inherent default behaviors of three periods.

"Travis" travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net wrote in message
So far, pushed to one character within the line break, my good old tri-dot

is
treated as one character and moved to the next line intact. Auto-cap

respects my new
rule (or the gods have intervened) and treats the ellipsis as a special

case. When I
replace it with a single period, Auto-cap is back on the job. I didn't

need to make
an exception. My rule rules!

So. For ellipsis: Don't use "period, space, period, space etc." as it's

too big and
will just break up and/or trigger Auto-cap (Auto-cap does seem to demand a

proper
sentence, so the spaces might prevent capitalization, but they do break

up). Don't
just delete the rule that substitutes the Word "micro-ellipsis character"

for your
three periods or, same problem. Make up a _new_ rule: "replace three

periods with
three periods."

And it exports to text!

Thanks again for your help,

Travis

"Travis" travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net wrote in message
Daiya,

Ah the confusion is mine. When I read "then AutoCorrect capitalization

fires, and
I think the three dots will
break at lines." I was reading that as the first _causing_ the second,

not two
separate consequences.

I'll investigate turning Auto Cap off or creating an exception.

I only recently turned from 1992 Volkswriter (still runs! but won't

print under
XP)
and am a real dummie with Word. What? You can tell?

I was hoping that my new "rule" would create an exception to line

breaking, and,
now, Auto-Cap treating the period as just a period. Hey. There's a

"rule"! "Treat
these three periods as a single character." Just deleting the rule

indeed gets me
what I want, but, apparently, only until it's broken in a line or the

following
letter is capitalized, then I'm back at work struggling to get an

exportable
ellipsis.

'Probably won't work, but I'll find out soon enough.

I shall report my findings to the committee.

Travis

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
Hi Travis,
I was able to "re-instruct" auto-correct's take on the ellipsis by

deleting
the
rule, then replacing it with a new rule: three periods to be replaced

by three
periods, rather than the un-text-exportable "ellipsis" character
What's the point of this new rule? Why not just delete the entry, and

then
when you type three periods, nothing happens. Isn't that what you

wanted?
Whether or not this keeps the auto-cap from
breaking them at lines remains to be seen, but merely deleting the

rule would
almost
surely do so.
One of us is confused. The point about Word's ellipsis is that it will

stay
together, because it is one character. Three periods may or may not

break
at a line (I'm not sure, but I think they will), but the AutoCorrect

entry
for the ellipsis doesn't have anything to do with whether Word uses a

period
as a trigger to wrap a line. Or am I misunderstanding what you say?

Nor is auto-cap relevant to line wrapping. Auto-cap comes into play

because
Word capitalizes any word after a period (unless there is a number

before
the period). It will see your ellipsis as three periods (as it is),

and
probably capitalize the next word.

Daiya