I think his original objection was that it didn't translate to plain-text
applications such as emails.

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
Gotcha! Weird though because an ellipsis looks OK to me in virtually all
fonts. All I can only guess that Travis is used to seeing an ellipsis in a
non-proportional font (which looks ugly to me).

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
:I don't believe he intends to have any spaces between them. That was the
: point. If he were typing three spaced periods, they would not be

converted
: to an ellipsis.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the

newsgroup
so
: all may benefit.
:
: "TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
: ...
: The problem with your solution is that three period characters are not
: glued
: together. There's nothing to stop them from breaking apart as they are
: three
: characters and not one character like a real ellipse. You either need

: use
: a non-breaking spaces between them and adjust the character spacing

(as
: suggested) or a zero width non-breaking space between them.
:
: Terry
:
: "Travis" travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net wrote in message
: news : : Terry,
: :
: : Thanks for the suggestion. As per above reply, I was able to
: "re-instruct"
: : auto-correct's take on the ellipsis by deleting the
: : rule, then replacing it with a new rule: three periods to be

replaced
by
: three
: : periods, rather than the un-text-exportable "ellipsis" character

(most
: of
: my stuff
: : goes out as text in inclusions).
: :
: : I wonder if Word would make up a new, un-text-exportable character
from
: the curve
: : ball thrown by your custom design, or do you think text export would
: accept the odd
: : spacing? I may yet have to try it.
: :
: : Many thanks!
: :
: : Travis
: :
: :
: : "TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
: : ...
: : To follow on...
: :
: : to make your own ellipsis, enter a stop, a non-breaking space
: : (Ctrl+Shift+Space), a stop, a non-breaking space and a final stop.
It
: is
: too
: : wide now, so select the ellipsis and use Format, Font and adjust

the
: : character spacing to say -0.5pt. This will reduce the spacing

until
it
: looks
: : more like an ellipsis. Adjust the character spacing until it looks
as
: you
: : want. Now select it and save it as an AutoText entry or even

replace
: the
: : AutoCorrect entry for the ellipsis with it.
: :
: : --
: : Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: : http://word.mvps.org/
: :
: : "Travis" travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net wrote in message
: : ...
: : : Hi, All,
: : :
: : : Does anyone know how to get a tri-dot "ellipsis" with three
periods
: ...
: : : without Word 2000 changing it into its own, non-text-exportable
(and
: : miserably
: : : small) _character_ for ellipsis ...?
: : :
: : : I have no idea what will be displayed, but perhaps you've
: encountered
: the
: : : phenomenon. Using a period with a space in between each of the
three
: will
: : preserve a
: : : true ellipsis, but then it's too big.
: : :
: : : "ellipsis" is in the Help index, even a key word, but all I get

on
: : selecting it is
: : : info on tab stops!
: : :