Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sharon Sharon is offline

Default Track changes - insertions and deletions

Dan, what I am saying is that the regulator asked me for the macro and I
emailed it to her. I would not never mess with anyone's settings. But I had
two questions...One, I was asking why are macros dangerous (this is my first
time to use a macro) and two, the end of the macro given to me has the color
as violet.I found out yesterday when I email to my regulator she sees my
changes in violet and I wanted to know if I could change that to red and
blue. --
slb

"Dan Freeman" wrote:

Not just because macros can cause problems.

It is decidedly uncool to mess with someone else's settings without their
permission. They may have chosen specific colors, to name one of a few
thousand things, to suit their working style or to compensate for a physical
handicap. I once had a job where I had two direct bosses. Each was color
blind, in different ways. It was a nightmare finding color combinations that
both could see.

No software should fiddle with a user's personal settings.

Dan

Sharon wrote:
Suzanne, I shared the macro with my regulator, so she should be able
to use it as I did and see the red and blue. Is this correct, that
she will now see the same thing in red and blue as I do? And you said
something that made me curious..."actually allows the macro to run
(which is unlikely), he may not thank you for it!" What do you mean
by that? I really don't understand that much about macros, I do Know
if they are not from a reliable source that they can cause you
problems, right?

The appearance of tracked changes on any given machine is dependent
on the settings on that machine. There is no way you can change the
settings on the recipient's machine short of an AutoOpen macro in
your document, and, if the recipient actually allows the macro to
run (which is unlikely), he may not thank you for it!

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Sharon" wrote in message
I used this macro, great! There is only one problem...when I email
a copy of the tracked document to someone it shows all deletions
and additions in violet, not additions underlined in blue and
deletions struckthrough in red. How do I change the macro to email
in the red and blue instead of violet. I am also running Word 2002.
Thanks for any help you can give me. --
slb

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

As Lene has told you, these options are available in Word 2003 but
not in Word 2002. When the new UI for Track Changes was introduced
in Word 2002, some of it wasn't as carefully thought out as it
should have been, and its errors and omissions were corrected in
Word 2003. It is possible to change its behavior through Registry
edits, however; for a macro to do this, see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Put_Track_...k_On_Track.htm.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Jo" wrote in message
Thanks. What I'm wanting though is to use two different colours
- one for insertions and one for deletions. Do you know if this
is possible, or is there only the one-colour option for both?

"Jo" wrote:

I'm using Word 2002. Is it possible to track insertions by
underlining in red, and deletions by strikethrough in blue?
Thanks.