Pat Garard

G'Day John,

The '¬' symbol can appear in a Word Document in TWO un-related
forms:

1. As itself (0172), in which case you CAN copy it, and paste it into
the "Find What" box.

2. As Word's representation of an optional hyphen, in which case you
can NOT copy/paste into "Find What". You can, however, represent it
as the character-pair '^-' in "Find What". (Or click "Special" button, and
choose "Optional Hyphen".)
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Hi Ho Silver" 24601@hidden wrote in message

Using Word 2002/XP.

I am looking for certain Symbols in the text, for example ® or & etc. I
will typically copy the symbol and using Ctrl + V, paste it into the "Find
What" in the Find and Replace dialog box. However, one particular symbol
I am looking for is the ¬ (the "Not Sign") which is ASCII decimal 0172.
When I try to copy and paste that symbol into the "Find What" box, nothing
pastes, and the "Find Next" button grays out. I have experimented with
copying and pasting a variety of other symbols (from Insert/Symbol) and
all that I have tried will paste in except that ¬ [I realize the ¬ symbol
may not transmit with this posted message, but I am talking about the "Not
Sign"].

Any hints would be appreciated. I have a longish document that is full of
"Not Signs" and I want to copy and replace them. Thanks.
--
John Hanley

To send return email:
jphanley