Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

Default Where can I find COMPLETE steps to save to disc?

Of course CD's are created using a special format which places the data in a
logical manner that can be read according to the type of disc created, but
that isn't the issue here. What the PC user understands by 'formatting' a
disc is the pre-formatting of a disc to accept data as (for example) would
be the case with a floppy disc. Writeable CDs do not require such formatting
EXCEPT for use by a packet writing system, so your comment that "you can
always fully format before you start, giving you the fastest write times" is
clearly drivel.

Your faith in the ability of such systems is touching. There is little
compatibility between the different types and InCd for example cannot even
read discs created by some earlier versions of the same software.
Furthermore InCD (unless it has changed very recently) cannot handle write
once discs. Packet filing systems are notoriously 'fragile' and if the disc
becomes corrupt they are usually incapable of recovery. If you want to trust
your valuable data to either a volatile filing system or to re-writable
disks then that is a matter for you. Most of us prefer to be able to access
our data in the future.

Pre-formatted CD discs would have to be pre-formatted with some packet
writing filing system or other and would have limited use thanks to the lack
of standards. As I said, I have never seen them - but if you can provide a
link I will concede that such things may be available.

As to the value of my posting, I am not afraid to put my name on anything I
post, and my antecedents are readily searchable on the internet. Pity the
same cannot be said for some arsehole who likes to snipe from behind a
pseudonym.

PopS wrote:
You're an MVP?!

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
CD's don't require formatting, unless they are to be used as a
'big floppy' using third party packet writing applications such
as Nero's InCD and Roxio's equivalent nonsense

That is patently untrue, and likely confusing to most newbies. A
CD needs to be formatted, same as any other data storage device.
Sometimes an app will format "on the fly", others lay down a set
of marks and then format "as you go", a little quicker for
writing data, and you can always fully format before you start,
giving you the fastest write times. But, a CD must be formatted
in order to use it, whether you're talking red, green, yellow or
orange book specs. Please don't mis-inform.

I have never seen a pre-formatted CD?

I have. Don't use them, but I have seen them. It's a way to
keep the costs up. I don't really think that's what the poster
meant though; he's probably using an "on the fly" formatting app
that lets him bypass a separate formatting process completely and
hasn't realized it. Or, maybe he did spring for the extra cost;
dunno. Wasn't really worth a comment w/r to the thread's subject
though.

Packet applications are notoriously unreliable and should be
avoided like the plague.

Again, patently untrue.
They are as reliable as the system running them and very seldom
cause problems on their own, as with any application.
Avoiding them is silly, almost stupid advice on your part.
They give one the ability to treat the CD as a floppy drive and
offer many other functional and desirable features; even the
freebie Roxio's that deliver with systems, and in particular
Nero, and a host of others.
Do not misinform people.

IMO you need to stick to Word advice, if you're any good at that.
I recognize you name but I perceive no reputation from your
posts, so IMO you've not been an oustanding poster in any way,
Word or not.

If you want to ensure you will still have the data when you
need it, use multisession data formats using your CD/DVD
writing software. Ashampoo's Burning Studio takes all the
thinking out of the process for beginners and the more
experienced alike.

Pop

Herb Tyson [MVP] wrote:
Well... that's not always the case--at least not for PCs. All
of the
CDs and DVDs I've ever bought come pre-formatted. It's just a
matter
of dragging the files to them, then choosing "Write these
files..."
In the PC world, if I'm told that the CD needs to be
formatted,
that's usually an indication that the drive is malfunctioning.

Yes, new CDs must be formatted before data can be written to
them...