Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mattajang Mattajang is offline

Default How do I keep custom page size from changing automatically?

Do you know what size margins I need to use to set up for 7 x 10 rather than
6 x 9? I'm not too good at this. Thanks.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Stop spinning your wheels. Whenever you try to set a custom size that is
very close to one of the built-in sizes (and these are provided by your
printer driver, BTW, not Word), Word will keep defaulting back to the
built-in size. Your only recourse is to adjust margins accordingly.

But--and this is a very big but--it is very unlikely that your publisher
really wants you to set the book up for 7" x 10" paper. He wants you to set
up for this page size, which is quite a different thing. Envision your 7" x
10" page, including the desired margins, and then set margins on Letter
paper that will give you the required size text block (including header and
footer, if any). You can, if you want, print an outline (like a page border)
or crop marks to indicate the page placement (see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/CropMarks.htm).

Your publisher should be able to work with this. At least, that's the way I
do it when I typeset a 6x9 book. I send the book to the commercial printer
as a press-quality PDF, and he handles the imposition from there.

"Mattajang" wrote in message
Forgot to mention this is for Microsoft Word 2003

"Mattajang" wrote:

I'm trying to set my paper size to custom 7 x 10. I then go to the

layout tab
and select my settings there. When I go back to the other tabs to

recheck
everything, the paper size has automatically changed from the custom 7 x

10
setting I chose to B5 7.17 x 10.12. Why is it doing this? Someone please
help! I specifically need 7 x 10 for my publisher's book specifications.

I've
never had this problem before; it just started doing this. Thanks for

any
help you can give!