Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Default Slow startup

No, you will have a normal.dotm for Word 2007.

Terry

"Robert" wrote in message
. ..
Graham and Terry,
Thank you very much for your tips and efforts.
But to be honest with you I am quite happy with the default template when
am using it. As a matter of fact, I use specific or personalized templates
most of the time. So deleting the ¡§normal¡¨ template is no problem. It
has
two benefits: my ¡§Normal¡¨ template remains set at its default values
(which
is sometimes handy), and Word loads fast (which is a real blessing).
I haven¡¦t monitored the size of the ¡§Normal.dotm¡¨ file on my system but
one
thing is certain, if I leave things to run as they normally do, Word
starts
seconds to simply load an empty new document. When my ¡§Normal.dotm¡¨ file
is
deleted before running Word, Word launches almost as fast as Notepad does.
Regarding the temp folder, it is systematically emptied by a script file
each time my system is shut down. And so is the Word ¡§Normal.dotm¡¨ file.
By the way, I don¡¦t have any ¡§Normal.dot¡¨ file. Should I have one?

----------------------------

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:30:20 +0200, Robert wrote:

Word launches actually much faster, almost instantaneously. So the
benefits
are huge as far as I am concerned.
It so happened that Word 2007 was launching slower and slower at each new
run on my system.
Word 2007 might not be working as it is intended by MS but it is now
working to my satisfaction! What more would I want?

This said, I don¡¦t have any plug-in installed.
And I don¡¦t understand what might be causing this gradual and persistent
slow-down¡K
I can only think of what you suggested yourself, i.e. that some changes
are
systematically saved each time I shut Word down. And they take more time
load at each new run.

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:30:07 +0300, Graham Mayor wrote:

It might be faster, but it is now incapable of working as intended, so
it
is a ridiculous idea.
If Word starts slowly, there is a good reason for it and that is usually
do with add-ins (though Word 2003 will start slowly next time it is
started
after saving a change to normal.dot)