Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jon Monteleone

Default Master document and section numbering issues and what about Chapter label?

Greetings
I have a long document spread across 8 separate files. I know how to create
a master document, but when I put all the files into the master, the section
headings all have the same numbering. That is, instead of 1.1 I get 5.1.
For file 2, I get 5.1 instead of 2.1. Etc. I think this occurs because in
each individual file I changed the Heading 1 style to the corresponding
chapter (each chapter is a file) number. So, file 2 gives the correct
headings, i.e. 2.1, 2.1.1 etc, while chapter 2 in the master document gives
5.1, 5.1.1 etc.

Is there a way to get the same style, e.g. Heading 1, to load into the
master document maintaining the style from the individual file?

I use the Chapter Label style for my chapter #. I use the Chapter title
style for the title of the chapter. How do I get these 2 styles to print on
the same line when I generate my TOC?

Is it possible to base the first section number, e.g. 2.x, on the chapter
label number?

Any help would rock!