Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

Default How do I get chapter numbering to appear in cross referencing?

For the first section, which has the contents, you need to go into the
Page Number Format dialog box and select the desired numbering format
for your page numbers.

Note that if the contents section has no Heading 1 paragraphs (which
makes sense), you cannot check the "Include chapter numbering" option,
since it would then reference page numbers from the following section.
After you've made the changes, close the dialog box and the
header/footer area and switch to Print Preview and back, in order to
force an update of field codes.

[To open the Number Format dialog box: Put the cursor in the relevant
section. On the View menu, click Header and Footer. Click the Format
Page Number button on the Header/Footer toolbar.]

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"ZoeElizabeth" wrote in message
Hmm, I have a section break after the contents, and the number

format is set
up correctly for that section....
It is still going 1-1, 1-2 for the TOC then for Chapter 1, going

1--1, 1-2
again.

Elizabeth