Make sure that (a) the second number is actually a field and not just a
typed number 1 (it should appear gray in the "Number format" box) and (b)
you have checked the box for "Restart numbering after..." and selected the
appropriate level.

"Sharon" wrote in message
I am using Word 2002. I set up Headings 1, 2, and 3 using the Customized
Outline Numbered list dialog box. For Heading 3, I get the following:

3.0
3.1
3.1.1
3.1.2
3.2
3.1.3
3.1.4

As you can see, the second set of Heading 3 numbers continues the list

from
the first set, rather than starting over under 3.2. I am at a loss as to

how
to fix this. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Sharon