Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cayce cayce is offline

Default w2007 organizer use to copy/overwrite styles not working

Pam...I didn't realize about copying the list style in the organizer so that
was a useful tip. (I've been scrolling right past it all this time in the
organizer!)

In my source document, I had created the list style associated with the
heading levels/styles. However, when I copied just the list style from my
source to the target, it had no effect on fixing the sick content.

I did ,however, find a workaround that accomplishes my goal. I simply copied
healthy sample paragraphs that had heading 1-5 styles applied from my source.
I pasted them in my target document and they maintained their indents, etc. I
then selected each paragraph individually, chose "update heading 1 ( or 2, 3
etc.) to match current selection" from the styles pane, and all the problem
instances of those headings elsewhere in the document became healthy too. To
confirm, I chose to reapply the heading styles to one of the formerly sick
paragraphs. It stayed healthy!

thanks for the suggestions. I always learn something new here.

"PamC via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

True, for a one off it would be easier. My suggestion would help get the
_process_ right for next time.

Stefan Blom wrote:
Or, which might be easier, create the list style directly in the target
document. Note that even if you make use of a list style (which is
recommended in Word 2007), you can still associate each numbering level with
a paragraph style.

In Word 2007, multilevel list numbering and paragraph style settings are
separate features. You can create a _list style_ (as opposed to an item

[quoted text clipped - 44 lines]
work
again.