Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default data source with 508 fields

Rading your message again, I think the problem is that the data source is
attached to your .dot file.

The problem is that in Word 2002/2003, Word seems to try to open the file
twice - once when it opens the .dot with the data source connected, and once
when it opens the .doc that is created from the .dot. However, when it tries
to open the file attached to the .doc, it is already open exclusively and
Word cannot open it again. This was not the behaviour in Word 2000.

You should be able to test that by disconnecting the data source from the
..dot and only connecting it in the .doc. Unfortunately what that usually
means is that you have to write an AutoNew macro (or something like that) to
open the data source whenever a new .doc is created from the .dot.

The thing about the 255 field limit is that it does depend on the data
source, but it also depends on the way that Word tries to connect to the
data source. In the case of text (csv) type files, Word has three
mechanisms:
a. its internal text converter
b. ODBC
c. OLEDB (the default in Word 2002/2003)

As far as I know, (b) and (c) will limit you to at most 255 fields. (a)
allows more columns, but since there is no specification of the maximum we
are basically at the mercy of what Microsoft decides to do in future.
Further, when you open a text file as a data source, you may have to force
Word to use (a) (again, checking Tools|Options|General|"Confirm conversion
at open" is the only way to do this in the User Interface.

One thing that has certainly changed over the years is the text converter
tries to check the character encoding of the file. If it is "not sure", it
may pop up an additional dialog box. As far as I know, Word uses a set of
heuristics to do this (because nothing in the file explicitly defines the
character set being used, and I have certainly heard reports that large
numbers of fields or large field contents can trigger display of this dialog
box. All you can really do is see what happens on your system(s) and deal
with the problem if it occurs.

Peter Jamieson

"Christoph Arnold" wrote in message
Thanks for your quick response!

- I tried with confirm conversion - word opens it as a normal textfile.
- Disabling the virus checker didn't change the behaviour.
- When we reported it to MS (two weeks ago), we were told that we can't
have more than 256 fields as a datasource for mailmerge, but this week we
saw (on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294688/de) that it should be
possible to use more fields (we reported this - and the fact that opening
just the file fails - again, but still waiting for a response...)

Christoph Arnold

"Peter Jamieson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I would try the following:
a. check Word Tools|Options|General|"Confirm conversion at open" and try
opening the file again. Please note what format Word thinks it is trying
to open
b. if you have a virus checker enabled and are in a position to disable
it temporarily, try doing that then opening the file.

If necessary report the problem to Microsoft through their support
incident mechanism (on their website) if you cannot get it to work (other
people here may offer suggestions, but we are just volunteers).

Peter Jamieson
"Christoph Arnold" wrote in message
I'm trying to use a textfile (with 508 fields) as a datasource for
mailmerge.

In Word 2000 this file works, but the same file used in Word 2003/2007
doesn't work (the dot, that uses this file as a datasource is loaded and
shown in word, then word hangs / cursor stands still / no reaction on
keyboard/mouse )

The same happens, when I open just the textfile with word! No problem
with Word 2000, Wordpad, Notepad... but hangs when opened with Word
2003/2007.

Thanks for any help!

Christoph Arnold