Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
sandra via OfficeKB.com

Default MailMerge - Word 2000

Hi Peter

I'm really sorry to keep coming back with this but I'm clearly doing
something wrong.

I've inserted all the paragraphs into a document, highlighted each paragraph
and bookmarked. I've highlighted the paragraph mark at the top of the
document and called it "Para0". I now have 9 bookmarks (just testing at the
moment). I've then created a folder named "myparas"on my "h" drive and named
the document "myparas".

I've then entered Para1, Para2 and Para 3 on the data source and put "Y"
underneath each of these headings.

In the middle of the main document (where I want the variable paragraphs to
be inserted), I've inserted

{ INCLUDETEXT "h:\\myparas\\myparas.doc" { IF "{ MERGEFIELD Para1 \*Upper }"
= "Y" "Para1" "Para0" }
}{ INCLUDETEXT "h:\\myparas\\myparas.doc" { IF "{ MERGEFIELD Para2
\*Upper }" = "Y" "Para2" "Para0" }
}{ INCLUDETEXT "h:\\myparas\\myparas.doc" { IF "{ MERGEFIELD Para3
\*Upper }" = "Y" "Para3" "Para0" }
}

I've then followed the steps to set up a mailmerge, ie: inserted name,
address, etc, It does insert the address details, etc, but does not appear
to link to the 'h' document. What step(s) am I missing?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Sandra

Peter Jamieson wrote:
Hi Sandra,

I didn't provide the details because I hoped what you had would be enough.

NB - you can search by going to groups.google.com and entering a few useful
keywords - if you search for INCLUDETEXT or AUTOTEXT and the name of one of
the regular contributors here such as Meister Robbins Mayor or Jamieson you
will probably find rather a lot of articles on these subjects. You can use
the advanced search there to restrict the search to the more recent
articles, which is usually helpful.

This is what you do, at least for INCLUDETEXT

Create a separate document - let's call it c;\myparas\myparas.doc

Insert the text chunks you want to use into that document.

Select each paragraph in turn and use Insert|Bookmark to bookmark each
paragraph with a different name - let's call them Para1,Para2,...,Para20. It
may or may not be useful to bookmark the text chunks without their final
paragraph marks (click the Show/Hide button in the standard toolbar to help
you do that).

Position the insertion point at the beginning of the document (so it's a
"point" selection) and insert a bookmark called Para0

In your mail merge main document, use

{ INCLUDETEXT "c:\\myparas\\myparas.doc" { IF "{ MERGEFIELD Para1 \*Upper }"
= "Y" "Para1" "Para0" }
}{ INCLUDETEXT "c:\\myparas\\myparas.doc" { IF "{ MERGEFIELD Para2
\*Upper }" = "Y" "Para2" "Para0" }
}{ INCLUDETEXT "c:\\myparas\\myparas.doc" { IF "{ MERGEFIELD Para3
\*Upper }" = "Y" "Para3" "Para0" }
}

etc.

As before, all the {} need to be the field braces you can insert using
ctrl-F9.

You have to do the INCLUDETEXT and IFs this way around or you end up with
{ IF condition "{ INCLUDETEXT something }" "" } and the same problems as you
probably had before.

There are other ways to do this, but I think that's probably one of the
simpler methods.

Peter Jamieson

I currently have a database holding details of 400+ members.

[quoted text clipped - 28 lines]
Regards
Sandra