Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default unnumbered footnote?

do some MVPs top-post and others bottom-post?

On Jan 22, 7:20*pm, Jay Freedman wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 15:07:40 -0800 (PST), grammatim
wrote:

It's quite usual for a journal article or book chapter to have an
initial unnumbered footnote containing acknowledgments.

Is there any way to do that in Word2003?

I tried starting footnote numbering with 0 (which I could subseqently
color White or mark Hidden), but the start number must be between 1
and 64K+. (Which suggests, incidentally, that there's a limit to the
number of footnotes a document can have.)

I tried inserting a Continuous Section Break (so as to restart
footnote numbering in the second section), but if the first section
contains a footnote, the second section starts a new page.

I think you're fighting a losing battle there, and it's time to cheat.

Put your "unnumbered footnote" in a textbox anchored in one of the first
paragraphs and drawn to the width of the text. Apply the Footnote Text style to
the text in the box. In the Format Text Box dialog, set No Line and No Fill; on
the Layout tab, click the Advanced button. Set the text wrapping to "Top and
bottom", and set the vertical position to Bottom relative to Margin. Uncheck
"Move object with text" and check "Lock anchor".

If there is a numbered footnote also on the first page, drag the text box upward
to clear the real footnote. Trying to put it below the footnote doesn't work
very well unless you also suppress the footer on the first page (in File Page
Setup Layout, check "Different first page").

Clever! That's what I have to (had to) do in FrameMaker, because, for
all its general wonderfulness, never learned that a long footnote has
to be broken onto the next page (nor can it do endnotes -- it
recommends a workaround using numbering and cross references).

No, it goes above the first numbered footnote. But it also has to go
below the Footnote Separator line (if there is one), and I can see
that being problematic. (First page of an article usually has a
centered drop folio [page number], so the footer shouldn't be
suppressed.)