louise

Default Word opens in format of previously used document

Win XP Pro, SP2
Word 2002, SP3

Whenever I open a document and close it, word saves normal.dot.
Then, the next time I open Word and open a new document, it opens
in the display parameters and format of the previous document.

For example, my regular normal.dot opens in normal view, no rulers,
120% zoom, etc.

Then I open another document, either an old one of mine or one from
someone else, that has rulers displayed or was saved in print
layout view. I read it, maybe edit it, and then close it.

Then I open a new document. The new document opens with rulers, in
print layout view rather than in my default normal.dot.

My default normal.dot contains several custom settings and macros,
so I don't want to just create a new normal.dot without these.

Is there a setting I could change? This just started happening
when I got a new hard drive and reloaded all my software, so I
think some setting is slightly different than it was on my other
computer.

TIA

Louise