Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Page Numbers not in sequence

Page number restarts are set for each individual section, and whenever
section formatting (page setup, headers & footers, and newspaper columns)
changes, a section break has been inserted in Word. To see the section
breaks, display nonprinting marks (for example by pressing Ctrl+Shift+8);
you may also want to switch to Normal view (Draft view in Word 2007). For
more on sections in general, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm.

Use the Page Number Format dialog box to set starting options for page
numbering in each section. The dialog box can be accessed via the Header and
Footer toolbar (Word 2003) or the Header & Footer Tools Design tab (Word
2007). (For more on headers and footers, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm.)

On the other hand, if you are saying that you want page numbering to be
continuous through-out the document, this can easily be accomplished with a
macro:

Sub SetContinuousPageNumbering()
Dim s As Section
For Each s In ActiveDocument.Sections
s.Headers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary). _
PageNumbers.RestartNumberingAtSection = False
Next s
End Sub

For assistance, see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ozzie" wrote in message
news
I have a document where just about every page is formatted differently. I
am
unable to start numbers where I want and when I try to insert page
numbers,
the numbering sequence begins all over again at about page five. I am
sure
it is because of all the different page set ups; most pages have data that
displays 8 1/2 by 11. However, frequently there are pages where the data
displays 11 by 8 1/2. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks