Jay Freedman

I do see KGlennC's point... Being able to write all fractions in a
consistent format with minimal manual work would probably benefit a
lot more users than something like easy-to-use drop caps.

The improvement over Greg's macro that MS could add is to recognize a
fraction automatically in text and trigger AutoFormat, instead of
having to enter the fraction in a special box. In fact, if it were
available I'd consider that to be one of the few AutoFormat As You
Type options that I wouldn't turn off. ;-)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:41:42 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

I don't think you can blame Microsoft for the Unicode standard. Word makes
available as made-up fractions those that are available in common fonts.

"KGlennC" wrote in message
Neither option is that realistic.

But, I did find a solution elsewhere in this Discussion Group that APPEARS
to work and is very easy to use once you've developed the Macro and added

it
to the Toolbar. See

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Insert_For..._Fractions.htm

If I can do it (after finding where someone else did it), then Microsoft
could add the same capability/function to its products very, very easily,
thereby ensuring document compatability for all users. Not sure why

Microsoft
forces a user to jump through hoops using EE or adding a zillion

AutoCorrect
entries. Apparently, Microsoft doesn't think engineering-related enties

are
that important, only cooks and their recipes.

/rant

"Bob Mathews" wrote:

On 25-Feb-2005, wrote:

I own an engineering related company and our documents
look unprofessional in that if not all fractions can be
displayed in the basic fraction format, then I use the "full-
size" format (e.g., 3/16).

One of Microsoft's suggestions discusses recipes; another
recommends using Equation Editor (very, very time
consuming, cumersome and does not return characters
consistent with document font).

Glenn, Equation Editor (EE) returns characters in whatever font
you set it up for. With EE active, the menus on Word's menu bar
aren't Word menus any more; they're EE menus. With EE open,
select Style Define, and set up the fonts to match your
document fonts. Keep in mind that these styles must be set to
Symbol font: Symbol, LC Greek, & UC Greek. Similarly, select Size
Define, and set the Full size to match your document's font
size. Set the rest of the sizes in percent values. I recommend
these values: 58%, 45%, 150%, and 100%, respectively, from top to
bottom after full-size. Be sure to include the % symbol. Setting
these values to percent values allows you to change your font
size by changing only the Full size value.

You can also program as many fractions as you want into Word's
AutoCorrect feature. Obviously there is an infinite number of
fractions, and you can't include them all in AC, but I'm sure
there are many that you use most often. On our web site, we have
a tutorial on doing this:
http://www.dessci.com/en/support/tut...t/tutorial.htm.
This tutorial specifically discusses MathType, the professional
version of EE, but much of what the tutorial discusses can be
done with EE.
--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training 830-990-9699